Policies and Procedures
Getting a REDCap Account
For a Basic (Data Entry) Account
This is the account that you need if you are going to be doing basic tasks in REDCap, such as data entry or data exports. To get a Basic REDCap account, you first need to complete the Data Entry Tutorial. After you have done this, you will receive instructions for setting up your REDCap account. When you have set up your account, make sure to send your username to the project manager so they can add you to the project.
For a Full Account
This is the account that you need if you are going to be doing project design, project management, or user rights management. There are two ways to get a full REDCap account.
- Complete the online REDCap tutorial--this tutorial takes about two hours.
- Attend the in-person tutorial. Please check the REDCap tutorial page for the most up-to-date schedule.
After you complete your tutorial, you will receive instructions on setting up your REDCap account. If you are joining an existing project, make sure to send your username to the project manager so they can add you to the project. Only people who have full accounts should have project design or user management rights in a project.
Moving a Project to Production
- Test your project thoroughly. Consult with your statistician and data entry people if possible;
- Someone with a full account clicks "Move project to production" at the bottom of the project setup page;
- Select whether you want to keep or delete any data you have entered into the project;
- The REDCap administrators will receive a notice you want to move your project to production. They will run a quick "best practices" check on your data dictionary;
- If appropriate, they will ask you to make some changes to your project to meet the best practices. When you have finished, simply e-mail back;
- The REDCap administrators will send you a brief survey about your project;
- The same person who requested the project moved should complete this form; and
- Your project will be moved to production.
Changing a Project in Production
You can still make changes to a project once it is in production mode. To make the changes, go to the Online Designer and choose to enter Draft Mode. After you do that, you will be able to make whatever changes you need to. These changes should only be made by people who have completed the full tutorial.
If there is no chance of your changes affecting your data, the changes will be approved automatically. If the changes might affect your data, REDCap will alert the administrators, who will review the proposed changes. If the changes will not affect your data, they will be approved. If they will affect your data, the REDCap administrator will verify that you are aware of the effects and you want them to take effect. If you respond yes, the project will be approved.
If you do not want the submitted changes, the REDCap administrator can either place your project back in Draft Mode so you can correct the changes, or they can reject all the changes so that your project returns to what it was before you entered draft mode.