Updates and Additional Features
Here you can find more detailed information about the most recent REDCap updates, the available action tags, and additional features you can set up in your REDCap database.
- New Action Tags
- New Smart Variables
- Detailed data history in Data History widget for file upload fields
- Warning on top of page the randomization and double data entry are incompatible in projects
- Codebook shows if forms are enabled as surveys
- Copy and paste option added to rich text menu
- Can now do line breaks in CSV exports
- Rich text editors added to survey invitations and confirmation emails
- Data resolution workflow divided into columns in export
- Alert and notifications display custom record labels when "Preview Message by Record" is selected
- When surveys are sent from records, recommends leaving page immediately
- Missing Data feature in "Optional modules and customizations"
Action tags are special features that begin with the '@' sign that can be placed inside a field's Field Annotation. Each action tag has a corresponding action that is performed for the field when displayed on data entry forms and survey pages.
A full list of the action tags that can be used in REDCap:
|Limits the number of characters in a field|
|Sets a field's initial value. This allows a field to have a specified default value when viewing the field on a survey or data entry form that has not yet had any data saved for it. For text fields, you may even perform Piping inside the default value to pipe data from another field in the project.|
|@HIDDEN||Hides the field on both the survey page and the data entry form.|
|@HIDDEN-FORM||Hides the field only on the data entry form|
|@HIDDEN-PDF||Hides the field on the PDF export|
|@HIDDEN-SURVEY||Hides the field only on the survey page|
|@HIDECHOICE||Allows the user to "retire" an answer choice and hide it without losing data|
|Allows text field to capture latitude of user|
|@LONGITUDE||Allows text field to capture longitude of user|
|@HIDEBUTTON||Hides the 'Now' or 'Today' button that is typically displayed to the right of date, time, and date/time fields.|
|@MAXCHECKED||Allows designer to limit the number of answer choices a participant can check|
|@MAXCHOICE||Limits the number of people who can select each answer choice|
|@NONEOFTHEABOVE||A none of the above feature for checkbox fields that prevent the data enterer from selecting multiple options|
|@NOW||Automatically provides the user's current time as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@NOW-SERVER||Loads the REDCap server's date+time into a blank text field when the page loads|
|@NOW-UTC||Loads the UTC date+time into a blank text field when the page loads|
|@PASSWORDMASK||Masks the value of a text field so that the rue value is not visible on the webpage after it has been entered|
|@PLACEHOLDER||Is used to specify a short hint that describes the expected value of a Text field or Notes field|
|@RANDOMORDER||Randomizes the order of answers in multiple choice questions|
|@READONLY||Makes the field read-only on both the survey page and the data entry form|
|@READONLY-FORM||Makes the field read-only on the data entry form|
|@READONLY-SURVEY||Makes the field read-only on the survey|
|@TODAY||Automatically provides the user's current date as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@TODAY-SERVER||Loads the REDCap server's date into a blank text field when the page loads|
|@TODAY-UTC||Loads the UTC date into a blank text field when the page loads|
|@USERNAME||Sets a field's value to the username of the current REDCap user. If this is used on a survey, the value will be '[survey respondent]'. Once the value is captured, it will not be changed when visiting the page at a later time.|
|@WORDLIMIT||Limits the number of words in a field|
There are three additional action tags for the REDCap App. They are:
|@BARCODE-APP||Allows the REDCap mobile App to capture the value of a barcode or QR code|
|@HIDDEN-APP||Hides the field only on the form ONLY on the REDCap mobile app|
|@READONLY-APP||Makes the field read-only on the form ONLY on the REDCap Mobile App|
|@APPUSERNAME-APP||Sets a field's value to the app username of the current mobile app user|
|@SYNC-APP||For File Upload and Signature fields. This will cause any image files uploaded to a record to be sent to the app so that they are viewable in the app when editing the record.|
More action tags will be coming in the future!
Occasionally, we develop additional features that work to enhance REDCap, called plug-ins or hooks. These are usually developed for specific projects for a fee, but if something is in wide demand and there is time in our schedules we may develop them independently. We currently have two features plug-ins available that anyone may use.
- The COMIRB plug-in works with the Demographics template available when you create a new project. It will allow you to produce the enrollment status you need for your continuing review, exactly as the IRB wants. Instructions for setting up the COMIRB plug-in can be found here.
- The Add Record plug-in allows you to link two REDCap projects. By using the plug-in, you can update the information in one project as soon as you save data in the matching record in a second project. Instructions for setting up the Add Record plug-in can be found here.