Updates and Additional Features
Here you can find more detailed information about the most recent REDCap updates, the available action tags, and additional features you can set up in your REDCap database.
- Record Status Dashboard displays are now customizable for users with project setup rights
- A text search option on reports
- In longitudinal studies, each arm will now get its own tab on the record status dashboard
- Checkbox variable names on reports will now be easier to read
- The group ID will now display on the DAG table
- You can now set a maximum number of participants for surveys
- You can now specify how long survey participants have to complete the survey after the invitation is sent
- There is a new "Log Out and Open Survey" option from data entry forms
- Users can now delete production projects without administrator approval if there are no records
- Users can now enable repeating instruments in production without administrator approval
- There is now a cancel button for data dictionary uploads and the import tool
- Suspended users will no longer show up as an option when adding users to a project
- You can now search by DAG in the logging tool
- Upcoming calendar events and survey invitations will display at the top of the Record Home Page
- Field validation errors will now display the validation type
- Invitation reminders will now display by default in the Survey Invitation Log
- The Data Resolution Dashboard can now be downloaded as a CSV
- Users will no longer be able to undesignate instruments in production mode
- The data search in Add/Edit Records will now display 25 results (an increase from 15)
Action tags are special features that begin with the '@' sign that can be placed inside a field's Field Annotation. Each action tag has a corresponding action that is performed for the field when displayed on data entry forms and survey pages.
A full list of the action tags that can be used in REDCap:
|@LATITUDE||Allows text field to capture latitude of user|
|@LONGITUDE||Allows text field to capture longitude of user|
|@PASSWORDMASK||Masks the value of a text field so that the rue value is not visible on the webpage after it has been entered|
|@NOW||Automatically provides the user's current time as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@TODAY||Automatically provides the user's current date as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@HIDDEN||Hides the field on both the survey page and the data entry form.|
|@HIDDEN-FORM||Hides the field only on the data entry form|
|@HIDDEN-SURVEY||Hides the field only on the survey page|
|@READONLY||Makes the field read-only on both the survey page and the data entry form|
|@READONLY-FORM||Makes the field read-only on the data entry form|
|@READONLY-SURVEY||Makes the field read-only on the survey|
|@HIDEBUTTON||Hides the 'Now' or 'Today' button that is typically displayed to the right of date, time, and date/time fields.|
|@USERNAME||Sets a field's value to the username of the current REDCap user. If this is used on a survey, the value will be '[survey respondent]'. Once the value is captured, it will not be changed when visiting the page at a later time.|
|@DEFAULT||Sets a field's initial value. This allows a field to have a specified default value when viewing the field on a survey or data entry form that has not yet had any data saved for it. For text fields, you may even perform Piping inside the default value to pipe data from another field in the project.|
|@PLACEHOLDER||Is used to specify a short hint that describes the expected value of a Text field or Notes field|
There are three additional action tags for the REDCap App. They are:
|@BARCODE-APP||Allows the REDCap mobile App to capture the value of a barcode or QR code|
|@HIDDEN-APP||Hides the field only on the form ONLY on the REDCap mobile app|
|@READONLY-APP||Makes the field read-only on the form ONLY on the REDCap Mobile App|
|@APPUSERNAME-APP||Sets a field's value to the app username of the current mobile app user|
|@SYNC-APP||For File Upload and Signature fields. This will cause any image files uploaded to a record to be sent to the app so that they are viewable in the app when editing the record.|
More action tags will be coming in the future!
Occasionally, we develop additional features that work to enhance REDCap, called plug-ins or hooks. These are usually developed for specific projects for a fee, but if something is in wide demand and there is time in our schedules we may develop them independently. We currently have two features plug-ins available that anyone may use.
- The COMIRB plug-in works with the Demographics template available when you create a new project. It will allow you to produce the enrollment status you need for your continuing review, exactly as the IRB wants. Instructions for setting up the COMIRB plug-in can be found here.
- The Auto-Notify plug-in will send you an e-mail automatically if a question is filled out a certain way. For example, it could notify you if a participant answers a survey in a way that suggests they are considering self-harm, or it could let you know that it is a participant's birthday so you can send them a card. Instructions for setting up the Auto-Notify plug-in can be found here.
- The Multiple Instrument/Event plug-in allows you to add up to 200 events at one time. This is useful if you have a project with a large number of events. It also gives you two new options for designating instruments. You can designate the same instruments for more than one descriptive name/event using the "Start" and "End" pull down menu or you can designate the same instruments for more than one event using the "Same Instrument" pull-down. Instructions for setting up the Multiple Instrument/Event plug-in can be found here.