Updates and Additional Features
Here you can find more detailed information about the most recent REDCap updates, the available action tags, and additional features you can set up in your REDCap database.
- REDCap now offers infinitely repeating forms in basic (non-longitudinal) REDCap Projects
- There is a new Record Home Page, where you can do all record level tasks, including: renaming, deleting, locking, assigning to DAGs, and more
- You can now create a snapshot of the data dictionary in production mode which will be stored in the Project Revision History. This will allow you to easily restore to saved data dictionaries in development
- Slider fields can now be orientated veritcally as well as horizontally
- Users must now enable to "auto-complete" option when using dropdown menus
- Custom event labels are now available in longitudinal projects, and they can contain piping
- Two users can view a data entry form simultaneously; one will have read/write access, and the other will be read only
- You can now preview emails, complete with HTML and piping, before sending them out
- Automated survey invitations will be automatically turned to "inactive" if you make a copy of the project, to prevent invitations from going out accidentally
- REDCap will now autosuggest fields when you're creating calculated fields or branching logic
- There is now a real time validator for logic fields and a real time calculation checker when modifying equations
- There is a new action tag, @PLACEHOLDER that allows placeholder information in a field
- PDF exports will now display images
- Uploaded files can now be downloaded directly via the reporting tool
- The mobile app will now warn when changes might affect the app's ability to sync
- Every device that has access to the project via the mobile app will now be listed individually, can be given its own name, and can be blocked individually without revoking the API token
Action tags are special features that begin with the '@' sign that can be placed inside a field's Field Annotation. Each action tag has a corresponding action that is performed for the field when displayed on data entry forms and survey pages.
A full list of the action tags that can be used in REDCap:
|@LATITUDE||Allows text field to capture latitude of user|
|@LONGITUDE||Allows text field to capture longitude of user|
|@PASSWORDMASK||Masks the value of a text field so that the rue value is not visible on the webpage after it has been entered|
|@NOW||Automatically provides the user's current time as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@TODAY||Automatically provides the user's current date as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@HIDDEN||Hides the field on both the survey page and the data entry form.|
|@HIDDEN-FORM||Hides the field only on the data entry form|
|@HIDDEN-SURVEY||Hides the field only on the survey page|
|@READONLY||Makes the field read-only on both the survey page and the data entry form|
|@READONLY-FORM||Makes the field read-only on the data entry form|
|@READONLY-SURVEY||Makes the field read-only on the survey|
|@HIDEBUTTON||Hides the 'Now' or 'Today' button that is typically displayed to the right of date, time, and date/time fields.|
|@USERNAME||Sets a field's value to the username of the current REDCap user. If this is used on a survey, the value will be '[survey respondent]'. Once the value is captured, it will not be changed when visiting the page at a later time.|
|@DEFAULT||Sets a field's initial value. This allows a field to have a specified default value when viewing the field on a survey or data entry form that has not yet had any data saved for it. For text fields, you may even perform Piping inside the default value to pipe data from another field in the project.|
|@PLACEHOLDER||Is used to specify a short hint that describes the expected value of a Text field or Notes field|
There are three additional action tags for the REDCap App. They are:
|@BARCODE-APP||Allows the REDCap mobile App to capture the value of a barcode or QR code|
|@HIDDEN-APP||Hides the field only on the form ONLY on the REDCap mobile app|
|@READONLY-APP||Makes the field read-only on the form ONLY on the REDCap Mobile App|
|@APPUSERNAME-APP||Sets a field's value to the app username of the current mobile app user|
|@SYNC-APP||For File Upload and Signature fields. This will cause any image files uploaded to a record to be sent to the app so that they are viewable in the app when editing the record.|
More action tags will be coming in the future!
Occasionally, we develop additional features that work to enhance REDCap, called plug-ins or hooks. These are usually developed for specific projects for a fee, but if something is in wide demand and there is time in our schedules we may develop them independently. We currently have two features plug-ins available that anyone may use.
- The COMIRB plug-in works with the Demographics template available when you create a new project. It will allow you to produce the enrollment status you need for your continuing review, exactly as the IRB wants. Instructions for setting up the COMIRB plug-in can be found here.
- The Auto-Notify plug-in will send you an e-mail automatically if a question is filled out a certain way. For example, it could notify you if a participant answers a survey in a way that suggests they are considering self-harm, or it could let you know that it is a participant's birthday so you can send them a card. Instructions for setting up the Auto-Notify plug-in can be found here.
- The Multiple Instrument/Event plug-in allows you to add up to 200 events at one time. This is useful if you have a project with a large number of events. It also gives you two new options for designating instruments. You can designate the same instruments for more than one descriptive name/event using the "Start" and "End" pull down menu or you can designate the same instruments for more than one event using the "Same Instrument" pull-down. Instructions for setting up the Multiple Instrument/Event plug-in can be found here.