Updates and Additional Features
Here you can find more detailed information about the most recent REDCap updates, the available action tags, and additional features you can set up in your REDCap database.
- New Action Tags
- @CHARLIMIT: Limits the number of characters in a field
- @WORDLIMIT: Limits the number of words in a field
- @HIDECHOICE: Allows the user to "retire" an answer choice and hide it without losing data
- @NONEOFTHEABOVE: A none of the above feature for checkbox fields that prevent the data enterer from selecting multiple options
- @RANDOMORDER: Randomizes the order of answers in multiple choice questions
- @MAXCHECKED: Allows designer to limit the number of answer choices a participant can check
- @MAXCHOICE: Limits the number of people who can select each answer choice
- Allow survey respondents can download a PDF of their answers--this may include PHI and should be used accordingly
- At the top of a data entry form, download a PDF of that form for that record
- New save options:
- Save and exit record
- Save and next record
- Data entry improvement: Use the space bar to select an option when tabbing through multiple choice/checkbox questions
- When the "Require reason for changes" option is enabled, no longer require a reason when adding data to a blank (grey) form in an existing record
- Calculations can now use 'now' the same way they use 'today'
- Calculated fields will now have a red bar on one side if the value displayed in the field is different from the value stored in the database
- File imports (manual and API) can now auto-number records upon import
- An error message will now display for duplicate coding in multiple choice questions
- The public survey link now has a "Open and Log out" option
- The survey queue will now display the first instrument in the project for increased flexibility
- The phone validation option now allows for 8XX and 9XX numbers other than 800 and 900
- REDCap will display a notice when an export is taking longer than three minutes to not stop the export or reload the tab
- Action tags don't work on voice surveys; there is now a notice for this and REDCap will include action tags in the scan when evaluating if a survey will work for voice calls
- There is now an option to allow respondents to save and return later without a return code--should not be used if there is a risk of exposing sensitive information
Action tags are special features that begin with the '@' sign that can be placed inside a field's Field Annotation. Each action tag has a corresponding action that is performed for the field when displayed on data entry forms and survey pages.
A full list of the action tags that can be used in REDCap:
|Limits the number of characters in a field|
|Sets a field's initial value. This allows a field to have a specified default value when viewing the field on a survey or data entry form that has not yet had any data saved for it. For text fields, you may even perform Piping inside the default value to pipe data from another field in the project.|
|@HIDDEN||Hides the field on both the survey page and the data entry form.|
|@HIDDEN-FORM||Hides the field only on the data entry form|
|@HIDDEN-SURVEY||Hides the field only on the survey page|
|@HIDECHOICE||Allows the user to "retire" an answer choice and hide it without losing data|
|Allows text field to capture latitude of user|
|@LONGITUDE||Allows text field to capture longitude of user|
|@HIDEBUTTON||Hides the 'Now' or 'Today' button that is typically displayed to the right of date, time, and date/time fields.|
|@MAXCHECKED||Allows designer to limit the number of answer choices a participant can check|
|@MAXCHOICE||Limits the number of people who can select each answer choice|
|@NONEOFTHEABOVE||A none of the above feature for checkbox fields that prevent the data enterer from selecting multiple options|
|@NOW||Automatically provides the user's current time as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@PASSWORDMASK||Masks the value of a text field so that the rue value is not visible on the webpage after it has been entered|
|@PLACEHOLDER||Is used to specify a short hint that describes the expected value of a Text field or Notes field|
|@RANDOMORDER||Randomizes the order of answers in multiple choice questions|
|@READONLY||Makes the field read-only on both the survey page and the data entry form|
|@READONLY-FORM||Makes the field read-only on the data entry form|
|@READONLY-SURVEY||Makes the field read-only on the survey|
|@TODAY||Automatically provides the user's current date as value of a text field when page is loaded|
|@USERNAME||Sets a field's value to the username of the current REDCap user. If this is used on a survey, the value will be '[survey respondent]'. Once the value is captured, it will not be changed when visiting the page at a later time.|
|@WORDLIMIT||Limits the number of words in a field|
There are three additional action tags for the REDCap App. They are:
|@BARCODE-APP||Allows the REDCap mobile App to capture the value of a barcode or QR code|
|@HIDDEN-APP||Hides the field only on the form ONLY on the REDCap mobile app|
|@READONLY-APP||Makes the field read-only on the form ONLY on the REDCap Mobile App|
|@APPUSERNAME-APP||Sets a field's value to the app username of the current mobile app user|
|@SYNC-APP||For File Upload and Signature fields. This will cause any image files uploaded to a record to be sent to the app so that they are viewable in the app when editing the record.|
More action tags will be coming in the future!
Occasionally, we develop additional features that work to enhance REDCap, called plug-ins or hooks. These are usually developed for specific projects for a fee, but if something is in wide demand and there is time in our schedules we may develop them independently. We currently have two features plug-ins available that anyone may use.
- The COMIRB plug-in works with the Demographics template available when you create a new project. It will allow you to produce the enrollment status you need for your continuing review, exactly as the IRB wants. Instructions for setting up the COMIRB plug-in can be found here.
- The Auto-Notify plug-in will send you an e-mail automatically if a question is filled out a certain way. For example, it could notify you if a participant answers a survey in a way that suggests they are considering self-harm, or it could let you know that it is a participant's birthday so you can send them a card. Instructions for setting up the Auto-Notify plug-in can be found here.
- The Multiple Instrument/Event plug-in allows you to add up to 200 events at one time. This is useful if you have a project with a large number of events. It also gives you two new options for designating instruments. You can designate the same instruments for more than one descriptive name/event using the "Start" and "End" pull down menu or you can designate the same instruments for more than one event using the "Same Instrument" pull-down. Instructions for setting up the Multiple Instrument/Event plug-in can be found here.
- The Add Record plug-in allows you to link two REDCap projects. By using the plug-in, you can update the information in one project as soon as you save data in the matching record in a second project. Instructions for setting up the Add Record plug-in can be found here.